The Atonement Debate - a very brief comment

Just bought a copy of The Atonement Debate (I am really in a book-buying frenzy now). This book holds a collection of papers on the issue raised by an earlier book, The Lost Message of Jesus Christ by Steve Chalke and Alan Mann. Obviously, the issue is about the atonement wrought about by Christ. While flipping through this book, certain thoughts arose in my mind as I reflected on the question of what it means for Christ to die for sinners. In logical sequence, I thought of these questions and answers:

  • Why did Christ die for sinners? - to reconcile man to God
  • Why was man estranged from God? - because of sin
  • How did Christ death overcome sin? - freeing man from the body of sin, dying in the body to sin with Christ and living in the Spirit
This leads me to ask the question of "where is the notion of Jesus Christ dying to satisfy the anger of a righteous God?" in the scheme of thoughts above. This is an ongoing thought to an ongoing debate. So, I will just leave it here at the moment for future discussions.

Comments