Age of Impressions

" I think what is most bothersome in this book is the way it sets up discussions, pursues a topic for several pages, often noting the point is not as devastating as the impression given (usually with a sentence that qualifies things so the author has cover) and then continues to launch in a direction that implies more than the evidence really gives, leaving a greater impression about what is said than the author claims in the qualification."

Just read part of Bock's review of Ehrman's latest book, Jesus Interrupted. I think if Ehrman is using impressions to sell his arguments as facts, then I think he is really smart. I have seen enough to convince myself that people generally accept or disapprove information as facts or truths based on the impressions that they perceived subjectively. So, it seems that Ehrman is riding on the wave of postmodernistic scepticism by creating impressions that the Christian faith is no more than merely a myth. I think he knows that such impressions are more potent than stating the bare facts. He must have learned it from Dan Brown in his bestselling novels.

Comments