Agreeing and disagreeing with politics

I recently read a posting from a local Christian blogger who believes strongly that the church should be involved in politics especially being an opposing force to perceived injustice and evil conduct. I read this post with a mixed feeling, a heavy heart and an interest to change my own conservative views.

While his posting has made me agree that the church must not be silent in challenging the ills of a bad government, I feel disappointed that being involved in an opposition party seems to be the only way proposed.

While I agree with him that we do not blindly submit to the governing forces and should not use Romans 13 to justify a blind obedience towards the government, I do not agree with his exposition and conclusion that just as Paul was challenging the people for the allegiance of faith towards Jesus Christ as King and Lord, we should be challenging the government through the means and the vision of an opposition political party.

I believe that although it is right to take the examples of the prophets in challenging the evil Pharaoh and Israelite kings, I feel that they did it while maintaining the strong identity that they did it because of God.

I write this not because I know the answer to the questions I ask myself concerning faith and politics or that I dare to follow the way that I think might possibly be the answer. But I feel that the church must seek another way to be involved in politics and at the same time maintain the unique identity, spirit and grace (costly) of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the GPS, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://gps-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.