On the Study of Beloved Disciple and Naked Young Man

I was reading Chris Tilling's review of Bauckham's book entitled Jesus and the Eyewitnesses with great academic interest. But I found myself questioning the tediousness in such detail academic work to describe the identities of anonymous disciples, (Witherington's posting on the beloved disciple is also an interesting read) whether they are taxing to the mind, or whether we are distracting ourselves from the actual work or more useful knowledge.

Don't get me wrong! I love reading all these studies, but I keep wondering what the Lord has said concerning spending time to search the scriptures, but yet we do not come to him nor know Him any better. Also, I am reminded of a review on Polanyi's work that says if we spend too much time describing certain knowledge, we would actually missed out on it as it is a tacit knowledge, (something like quantum physics?), that could only be acquired through apprenticeship of submission and trust (reminded me also of what Wright spoke about the solution for postmodernity in the Noble lectures).

Comments