Knowledge and Pride

I was reading Michael Polanyi's Personal Knowledge and he wrote that Copernicus did not really represent a true objective view of the universe. Rather, he just made a switch to prefer a more abstract view of reality, but equally egocentric.

This got me thinking about my current interest in the history of the church and how we could learn from the past by understanding it, my pursuit for a more accurate exegetical preaching in my local church, the passion to see members of the congregation grow in the knowledge of the Lord and to be knowledgeable disciples capable to withstand challenges and discern what is right and wrong, and not be carried away by the changing winds of our current culture to find meaningful and lasting pursuit in life.

I suddenly realised that I may just be interested to satisfy my intelectual desire and passion, a mere delight in the exercise of the mind, to enjoy the beauty of knowledge, truth and logically deduced statements. Like Copernicus, I may not be looking at things objectively, rather it's a just another shift to another perspective which is equally egocentric, serving the self rather than offering the knowledge as a sacrifice and service to the Lord Jesus Christ, to build His church for the edification of His children. Indeed, I have fallen into such danger and I told myself that this posting would serve as a constant reminder that I should always check my heart and allow the Spirit to tell me how deceitful my heart can be. Truly, knowledge puffs up but love edifies. To God be all glory for His mercy in Christ Jesus. Amen.

Comments