Types of Commentaries

After browsing through the socio-historical commentary of John's gospel written by Craig S. Keener and comparing it with the pastoral and concised one written by F.F Bruce, I cannot help, but conclude that I am more inclined to the types of commentaries that are related to the former.

Maybe this is because of my natural inclination towards historical subjects. I find commentaries that merely describe systematic theological interpretations of the verses uninteresting and 'dry'.

Though I understand that this is merely my own subjective preference, I have no qualm to say that commentaries that take into account of the socio-historical contexts would be able to provide meanings that are closer to the original meanings of the texts as understood by its original audience.

Comments

SATheologies said…
Hi Israel,

u mean the 2-volumes Keener on John??
Yik Sheng said…
Yes, bought it yesterday because of the sales at Canaanland. The price is about RM191. Now I am thinking of Matthew though I know RT France tops the list. But I think I will appreciate Keener better. ;-)
SATheologies said…
Wow! That's a really good bargain Israel. Here's it's double the price.

I wanted to get it here but too expensive for me.

Lucky you! :)
Yik Sheng said…
Really? Wow? I am amazed. I thought it would be cheaper in SG.
Hi Israel, if you try read once commentaries by the literary approach, then you realised, all that you have mentioned before this, are " ultra dry"..

but so far, only catholics publish literary commentries..

check it out: berit olam series and sacra pagina..

you know of any other such series, let me know..hehe

but books to read bible literarily, a lot..
Yik Sheng said…
Initially, I was not sure of what you meant by literary commentaries. Ran a Google search to understand it. ;-)

Looks like a literary commentary is pretty close to what we do in applied linguistics. (This is the field that I was trained in which sparked my interest in the first place.)

I guess socio-historical analysis coupled with applied linguistics would be a good combination to produce commentaries that hopefully would stay true to the meanings of the events, the author and his text.